Ethnic Studies Research Paper
Big picture goals of the project:
- move beyond vocabulary to understand how systems have long term impacts.
- use class concepts and terms to make an argument.
Questions you will address in your essay:
- What is slavery?
- How did it happen?
- What are some ideological, cultural, institutional and economic impacts of slavery?
- What are some present day legacies of slavery?
How might you answer these questions?
- Exploring, explaining, and applying concepts from concept bank.
- Using research, arguments, information and primary sources from the resources listed on this page to support your thesis.
- 12 pt. font
- Double spaced
- MLA format
- 8 sources, at least one primary source
This is a list of resources that has been tailored to your research project. If you visit the SI database links, make sure to do your own key word searches to explore the databases further.
- Gale In Context - Slavery and the Antebellum South
- SIRS - Racism Timeline
- Ebsco - Structural Racism, Historical Redlining...
- The National Museum of African American History & Culture (Smithsonian) - Historical foundations of race
- The Smithsonian Magazine - 158 resources to understand racism in America (Historical Context section)
- The New York Times - The 1619 Project
- Hinkle Memorial Library, Alfred State University of New York - Historical Roots of Racism Research Guide
Books (Covid 19 Precaution: Books are checked out to individuals and may not be shared between students.)