The SI Learning Center is open to the entire SI community. Our major focus is to give students who have unique learning needs the appropriate academic support and accommodations they need to be successful at SI. Our collaborative approach includes administrators, counselors, teachers, students and parents. Although we do not modify our college preparatory curriculum or offer remedial courses, students with documented learning disabilities and/or ADHD work closely with The Learning Center staff to meet individual academic needs. Our mission is to empower students on their journey to become independent learners within the SI community.
Mission & Purpose:
- Guide students in understanding how they learn and devising strategies to cope with their learning styles;
- Encourage students to become self-advocates who access support and request reasonable accommodations when necessary;
- Connect students with faculty and peer tutors for academic support;
- Instruct students in study skills techniques and use of school resources;
- Coordinate academic accommodation services;
- Promote healthy self-image of students with learning differences; and
- Provide referrals for an educational assessment for students who have not been previously diagnosed but who may have a learning disability or ADHD
Identification of Student with Learning Disabilities
- The Learning Center provides services to those students who submit documentation indicating a learning disability or ADHD at the time the student applies to St. Ignatius College Preparatory. Documentation is reviewed for its appropriateness and completeness under the guidelines set forth by St. Ignatius College Preparatory.
Once a Student is Identified:
A complete psycho-educational report is submitted to the Director of the Learning Center for review. The Director of the Learning Center will:
- contact the student and parent(s) to arrange an intake meeting.
- explain the goals of the program and the services available to the particular student.
- contact the student’s teachers to explain relevant strengths and weaknesses in the psycho-educational report.
- arrange and facilitate all meetings with regard to the student’s educational plan.
- facilitate reasonable accommodations such as extended time on exams at St. Ignatius, as well as assist with the process of applying for accommodations on high-stakes testing (College Board Tests and the ACT).
Note for Prospective Students: St. Ignatius offers the most challenging college preparatory curriculum to its students. A learning disability impacts this education experience, and great motivation is required to manage the increased difficulty. Regardless of a student's learning disability, all students must be able to compete academically in a rigourous college preparatory enviornment. It should be understood that St. Ignatius may not be able to meet the needs of all students with learning disabilities. Students diagnosed with more severe learning disabilities, which could prevent them from successfully completing SI's academic requirements, may want to consider other schools that offer extensive LD support programs rather than St. Ignatius.
For HSPT Accommodation information...
Please click here for more information about accommodations on the HSPT.
The Learning Center provides:
- Workshops to strengthen study and organizational habits
- Individual and group tutoring
- Academic support strategies specific to the student’s learning needs
- New technologies to support individual learning needs
- Means to develop self-advocacy skills
- Identify and support students with learning disabilities
- Personalized learning profiles when current educational testing is provided
- National Standardized Testing Accommodations (SAT/ACT)
- Grade level cohort meetings
Peer Tutoring Hours
- Morning session: 10am - 11am
- Available subjects: Math, Science, Spanish, French, Mandarin, Writing
- Zoom links will be sent via email
- Afternoon session: 12pm - 1pm
- Available subjects: Math, Science, Spanish, Writing
Zoom links will be sent via email
How it works: Every Wednesday morning, Zoom links will be emailed out to the student body for both sessions.
- There is no sign-up required and you can drop in anytime during those two windows of time.
- From there, we will pair you up with a tutor in 1:1 breakout rooms.
- Please understand that for security purposes, only students using their SI Zoom accounts with their full names displayed will be permitted to enter