The African American and Latino Parents Association (AALPA)
African American & Latino Parents Association Mission:
Who We Are: The St. Ignatius African American and Latino Parents Association (AALPA) is a multicultural, multiracial group of volunteer parents, grandparents and guardians. AALPA promotes family equity, education, support and mentorship via social and networking opportunities. Through outreach efforts in our communities, AALPA seeks to raise awareness of the educational opportunities at St. Ignatius College Preparatory for Latino and African American students. AALPA partners with the Admissions Department to enhance enrollment diversity. AALPA supports SI’s mission of enhancing the diversity of cultures in the school and is committed to fostering safe, welcoming environments wherein all forms of diversity are honored and valued.
Other Goals of AALPA: Support the student efforts of ALAS (Association of Latin American Students and BSU (Black Student Union).
Collaborative efforts with SI Parent Groups, The Ignatian Guild, SI Father's Club and SIPAC (not necessarily in that order.)
- Co-presidents: Jaime Alvarez and Christina Solomon
- Secretary: Tamala Thornton-McKinzey
- Admissions & Community Outreach: Sandra Fernandez Barnes
- Bilingual Community Outreach Liaison: Cynthia Ugarte
- Mentor Parents Lead: Michon Caton
- ALAS Showcase Chairs: Griselda Ayala and Marisol Durand
- BSU Showcase Chairs: Geoffrea Morris, Jessica Fontenot and Erica “Nikki” Perry Cooper
- Ignatian Guild Liaison: Lydia Floccini, Kelli Willis and Griselda Ayala
- Father’s Club Liaison: CristhiansLeon
- Alumni Relations: Rufus Davis, Jr.
- Faculty Moderator: Maricel Hernandez
Please join us for AALPA’s monthly meetings. They are great opportunities to connect with fellow parents and the SI community. Meetings are held on the third Wednesday of the month from 6 to 8 p.m. at SI's Alfred S. Wilsey Library. In the spirit of community, you are encouraged to bring a light snack to share. All are welcome. Please check this page for the latest on AALPA meetings and events.
Any questions about AALPA or upcoming events? Please email them to AALPA@siprep.org