Office of Equity & Inclusion
Our Strategic Plan
Strategic Plan for Diversity and Inclusion – Slides from our October 2014 in-service provide an overview of this plan.
Goals for 2015-2016
- Continue to collect and evaluate data
- Hone and revise strategic plan
- Support equitable and inclusive environment & culturally responsive teaching
- 2016 Friday Socials: March 4 and April 29
Topics and resources from past socials, lunchtime sessions, and in-services
- October 2015 In-Service Resources
- Friday, 10/23/15 – Follow-up discussion about the in-service and this America Magazine article entitled, "Breathing Space: Jesuit institutions must do more to undo racism."
- Thursday, 4/30/15 – A discussion about promoting gender equity at SI
- Thursday, 4/16/15 – "Race: The Power of an Illusion, Part Three: The House We Live In.” This is the third and last installment of the award winning PBS documentary series. This clip illuminates how government-sanctioned, post WWII programs contributed to systemic inequity and connect to today's socio-economic disparities.
- Thursday, 3/19/15 – "Talking About Race, Learning About Racism: The Application of Racial Identity Development Theory in the Classroom" (Beverly Tatum)
- Wednesday, 3/4/15 – "At New York Private Schools, Challenging White Privilege From the Inside" (Kyle Spencer, New York Times)
- Thursday, 1/29/15– Abram Jackson's Handout of Key Terms about Power & Oppression. Reviews key equity and inclusion terms and concepts – such as power, privilege, and systems of oppression (including the 3I's of Institutional, Interpersonal and Internalized oppression).
- Friday, 12/5/14 – The case study scenario and process steps we used in our small groups.
Peggy Macintosh at SI
Loading video from vimeo...
Books & Resources
- Principles of Culturally Responsive Teaching
- Verna Myers: How to Overome our Biases? Move Boldly Toward Them – Check out this TED Talk about how to eliminate the subconcious attitudes we hold toward groups.
- Privilege, Allyship, & Safe Space – an informative pamphlet from Oberlein College
- 5 Tips For Being An Ally – a clear and entertaining video about the dos and dont's of allyship
- Abram Jackson's Reflection on MLK Day
- "The Complexity of Identity" by BeverlyTatum
- "Racism: A Short History" by George Frederickson
- Additional/Suplemental Readings
- Books (from PD page)
Loading videos from YouTube...