adapted from a version by Dennis Hamm, S.J.
First, I begin by putting myself in the presence of God. Create a quiet, prayerful space.
- I breathe in the love of God that surrounds me. I become aware of God’s presence.
- I thank God for accompanying me on my spiritual journey, for allowing me to know God more deeply.
- I thank God for being present to me, even when I do not recognize God’s presence.
Second, I ask God for what I seek or desire.
- I ask God for the guidance of the Spirit to assist me to get in touch with what has been happening in me and around me this day.
- I ask you, God, for the ability to recognize how the Spirit has been leading me through the eventful happenings in the day.
Then I reflect back on my experience of the day.
- I review the thoughts, feelings, events which were most striking or intense for me, whether pleasing or painful, good or bad, clear or confusing.
I choose one thought or feeling that I remember best or is the most powerful for me.
- I stay with that thought or feeling.
- What interior movements or feelings did I experience as the moment unfolded?
- I pray over whatever feelings arise in me, whether it be gratitude, praise, petition, healing, patience, joy, sadness, hope.
I ask God to reveal God’s will to me regarding the next 24 hours.
- I ask God to help me and others to promote God’s will.
- I ponder the significant thoughts and feelings that arise as I consider the tasks, meetings, persons, decisions, challenges, enjoyments that are likely to be part of my life during the next 24 hours.
- I choose one thought or feeling that grabs my attention or deeply moves me emotionally.
- I pray over whatever arises within me, whether it be fear, anticipation, gladness, self-doubt, reluctance, procrastination, confusion, worry, self-confidence, excitement.
I end my Examen today by thanking God for daily helping me to grow in goodness and love.
Thank you, God, for allowing me to become aware of what gives me life and what does not; for allowing me to find you in all things; for allowing me to love you and trust you more deeply. Amen.
The Examen Podcast
Each week, our students lead an all-school Examen, a prayerful reflection on the events of the day in order to detect God’s presence and discern God’s direction for us. The Examen is an ancient practice in the Church that can help us see God’s hand at work in our whole experience. Below are the recordings of each of the student-led Examens. For more information about this prayer, please visit www.IgnatianSpirituality.com.
11/28/17 Ecological Examen
12/12/17 Juan Diego & Our Lady of Guadalupe
1/9/18 Bruce-Mahoney Basketball Game
1/17/18 MLK Jr. Day
1/30/18 Grace to Act with a Contemplative Spirit
2/6/18 Reimagining the Ignatian Examen
2/13/18 Ash Wednesday Lenten Reflection
The Examen Videos
Click the logo below to load the Examen video (please be patient if it doesn't load right away)
Right-click (or ctrl+click on a mac) on the video links below and save them to your desktop. Double-click on the video on your desktop to play it.