SI was founded in 1855 by Fr. Anthony Maraschi of the Society of Jesus, also known as the Jesuits: an order of Catholic priests founded in 1534 by St. Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556).
A Faith that Does Justice
SI is part of a worldwide network of Jesuit high schools and universities, all of which promote "a faith that does justice" through Campus Ministry and Community Service programs.
- Students grow in faith and are inspired to work for justice for the poor and persecuted.
- They attend student-directed Friday Morning Liturgies.
- Some volunteer on summer immersion trips to live and work in solidarity with people in Third World countries.
- All students volunteer in their local communities.
- They feed the hungry at St. Anthony's, work at the Pomeroy Recreation and Rehabilitation Center and do so much more.