Yoga for Athletes
Sheila Johnstone '08, leads swim and crew atheltes in a morning session.
Program Outline and Curriculum by Sheila Johnstone
Swim and Girls' Lacrosse Team prepare for tree pose with Sheila.
Excerpts from Student-Athlete reflections (Tennis '13,Lacrosse'13 and Wellness Class 2011-12)
- It was very relaxing and helped me clear my mind
- Thanks to you I have a new way to breathe and relax!
- Also, what you taught us was easy to do and remember, so I know I can do some yoga at home.
- I really liked the meditation yesterday and think we should do it more often!
- It really helped me envision what improvements I need to make on the court.
Ms. Cynthia Robertson, French AP and Yoga instructor prepares for Sunrise Yoga with students and faculty.
- I had a really good experience and was able to relax not only my body but also my head and thoughts!
- I enjoyed the Examen exercise at the end the best!
- I felt more relaxed and kind of relieved after the session. Especially at the end,when we were lying down with our eyes closed, that was my favorite part!
- The visualizing helped me a lot because during a match I can get pretty negative if I miss a couple shots so reminding myself to be calm and happy was really helpful.
Students and Faculty hold Tree pose.
- I was able to relax, which is good because usually it's courts, workout, go home and study... no time to just breath and relax.
- One thing that I took away from the yoga session was motivation. After the session, I became motivated to work hard and train hard. Thanks so much!
- Something I got out of the yoga session the other day was a nice stretch. It also made me not focus on schoolwork, which was nice because I was focusing on my breathing the whole time.
- The one thing I took away from our yoga session was to think about my breathing when exercising. I really enjoyed the session, thank you for doing it!
- I really liked how it was so really relaxing, and I liked the part at the end when we focused on our breathing.
I think it's a good way to start the morning and it helps me get in the right mindset to focus throughout my day.
- I really like the yoga opportunity because I am not very flexible and I feel like it helps me get more flexible.
- I enjoy the balance and strength positions because they allow me to identify my weaknesses and the meditation lets me center my thoughts.
- I loved it! Gained flexibility.
- I really enjoyed our yoga sessions. A lot of us don't focus or take stretching seriously during practice. But having Friday morning yoga gives us the needed time to rehab our muscles.
- I feel relaxed, peaceful and less stressed by the time we leave the gym, it is the best part of my day.
- Yoga is the highlight of my day, I really look forward to it, thank you.
Harmony: Where breath, posture, mind and body join with nature. Sanderlings make their appearance courtesy of the GGNRA.
- I really like going through the same poises because I can learn them well enough to practice on my own.
- The sun salutation really helps me clear my head and let go of the day's problems for awhile.
The 2013 Field Hockey Program
- Your meditations help me relax and eliminate stress, even if just for a little while in my day.
- Meditation is my favorite part, it gives me a chance to find balance in my day.
- I really like the yoga, feel great to stretch and challenge my body.
Coach Cal and Tango (in our favorite post beach run pose...)