About Dr. Gillian Clements
B.M.Violin Performance, Boston University 1999; M.M. Violin Performance, Rice University 2002; D.M.A. (Doctor of Musical Arts) Music Education, Boston University 2008. As Instrumental Music Director at St.Ignatius since 2008, Dr.Clements has led the SI Orchestra and Jazz Band at CMEA Festivals (large ensemble, Solo & Ensemble), Santa Cruz Jazz Festival, Music in the Parks, New York International Music Festival (Carnegie Hall, NYC), Forum Music Festival, and Disney Magic Music Days (Anaheim) where SI ensembles have received the high ratings of "Command Performance," and "Superior". In July 2011 Dr. Clements arranged the first-ever "SI-Kenya Music Exchange", taking seven students from the Orchestra and Jazz Band to Kenya to perform with the Kenya Conservatoire of Music Orchestra and the Mount Kenya Academy Orchestra. Dr.Clements moved to San Francisco in 2008 from Nyeri, Kenya where she lived and worked for 18 months to found a string program at the Mount Kenya Academy (www.mountkenyaacademy.com) and complete research for her dissertation. Additionally Dr.Clements has taught music theory, sight-singing, chamber music and orchestra sectionals at the Boston Youth Symphony Orchestras, Boston University, Boston University Tanglewood Institute, the Dana Hall School (Wellesley, MA), and Rice University Preparatory Program (Houston, TX).
Dr.Clements has played with the San Francisco Chamber Orchestra since 2008, and has performed as violinist with the Houston Grand Opera and Ballet Orchestras, the North Carolina Symphony, Key West Symphony, Nairobi Orchestra, Vermont Symphony Orchestra, New England String Ensemble, Rhode Island Philharmonic, Monterey Symphony, San Francisco Chorale Society Orchestra, Santa Rosa Symphony, Modesto Symphony, Sacramento Philharmonic Orchestra, the indie rock band Vampire Weekend and the Transiberian Orchestra.
Courses: Music Appreciation A (Western Classical Music & Broadway Musicals) & Music Appreciation B (Jazz), Orchestra and AP Music Theory.
- YouTube - vampire weekend - M79 @ the Independent, SF 03/22/08
- and YouTube - Vampire Weekend - A-Punk @ The Independent, SF 03/22/08
- NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/fashion/14boite.html?_r=1&ref=fashion
- Rice University: http://music.rice.edu/news/kenya.html
- SF Chronicle: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2008/11/27/NSI2148VKT.DTL
- San Francisco Classical Voice: https://www.sfcv.org/article/kids-around-the-bay-18
- Dissertation: Exploring Bi-Musicality: A Case Study of the Mount Kenya Academy