Dear St. Ignatius Community Members,
On Wednesday, May 18, 2022 the SI Alumni Board voted to award Justice Peter Siggins '73 the highest honor it bestows upon an alum of St. Ignatius College Preparatory, the Christ the King Award.
The Board chose Justice Siggins for this award because of a combination of his professional accomplishments as a former California Appellate Court Justice and pro-bono work in the Jesuit community for various schools including St. Ignatius College Preparatory.
Justice Siggins was asked to join the SI Board of Trustees by Greg Bonfiglio, S.J. in 2014. During his time on the Board, he was instrumental in reforming the board governance structure and thus ensuring the long term future of our school and served as its chair from 2018 to 2020.
Justice Siggins served St. Ignatius in a multitude of important ways:
- He served first as a Trustee from 2014 to 2021.
- Peter led the search committee to hire Edward A. Reese, S.J. as the 31st President of St. Ignatius College Preparatory to replace interim President, Edwin B. Harris, S.J.
- He worked with a committee to reconstitute SI's governance structure, creating one board, with clear roles and responsibilities.
- Peter was instrumental in the Jesuits West Province sponsorship process.
- He has been a generous supporter of our alma mater and especially of the Fr. Sauer Academy and our scholarship endowment of which he is an ardent proponent of, desiring an Ignatian education be available to all who desire it.
In addition to his volunteerism for St. Ignatius, Justice Siggins has a long history of public service in the legal, judicial and Catholic communities.
He served as an Associate Justice of the California Court of Appeal, First Appellate District-Division Three. Prior to that, he served as Chief Deputy Attorney General in the California Attorney General's Office as well as served Governor Arnold Schwarzenneger as Interim Chief of Staff and the Governor's Legal Affairs Secretary.
A native San Franciscan, Justice Siggins is a graduate of St. Ignatius College Preparatory, Loyola Marymount University and Hastings College of the Law. He was a trustee of Jesuit High School of Sacramento from 2002 to 2012 and a trustee for the Jesuit School of Theology at Santa Clara University. Justice Siggins and his wife, Veronique Leband Siggins, live in Marin County and have two sons, two daughters and three grandchildren.
Justice Siggins will be presented the Christ the King Award on November 20, 2022 in the Orradre Chapel.
Vice President of Advancement