The Wildcat Experience (Shadowing)
Unfortunately, The Wildcat Experience (Shadowing) will not be available for the Fall 2020 semester in order to meet public health guidelines and respond to community safety.
The 8th grade student will be able to attend an all new, fun and exciting virtual event via Zoom. For more information about our virtual event, visit The Student Experience!
The Wildcat Experience is for the eighth grade student who is interested in the possibility of attending SI for high school and wonders what a typical school day at SI would be like. The Wildcat Experience will highlight the vibrant student body and the many opportunities available to a student at SI.
Parents of eighth grade students: Don't miss our Prospective Parent Tour where you will have the opportunity to see the student body and campus in action during the school day, along with hearing from students, faculty, and administrators about the difference an SI education can make.
Eighth grade students only are invited to make a reservation for The Wildcat Experience at St. Ignatius College Preparatory during the Fall 2020 semester.
Please check your school's calendar and STAR testing dates now to avoid conflicts when making a reservation in the future. Many of the grammar schools have notified us that they have required testing, outdoor ed, and other activities during the months of September, October and November. Students might want to check with the teacher(s) or principal of the school he or she now attends before making a reservation.
In fairness to all the 8th graders who desire a visit, if you cancel or do not show on your reserved date for The Wildcat Experience, we cannot guarantee we will be able to accommodate you on a future date. Those who have not made a reservation previously will have priority. Typically, there will be high demand for The Wildcat Experience.
We accommodated over 1,400 visit requests last year for The Wildcat Experience! We heard from our eighth grade visitors that they had fun during their time on the SI campus last fall while experiencing the life of an SI student.
Make a Reservation for
The Wildcat Experience
We will begin taking reservations on Thursday, August 27, beginning at 12:00 noon, for all dates below. On August 27, you will be able to click on the date desired below to complete the reservation form. You will receive an email confirmation if you successfully submitted the form.
2020 Fall Dates for The Wildcat Experience
September 9 (Wednesday)
September 16 (Wednesday)
September 17 (Thursday)
September 18 (Friday)
September 23 (Wednesday)
September 24 (Thursday)
September 25 (Friday)
October 7 (Wednesday)
October 8 (Thursday)
October 9 (Friday)
October 21 (Wednesday)
October 22 (Thursday)
October 23 (Friday)
October 28 (Wednesday)
October 29 (Thursday)
October 30 (Friday)
November 11 (Wednesday)
November 12 (Thursday)
November 13 (Friday)
November 18 (Wednesday)
November 19 (Thursday)
November 20 (Friday)
Time on campus for all dates above:
11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Note: The Wildcat Experience is a smaller, more intimate program for the eighth grade student with more dates and less visitors on each day. We appreciate your understanding of our limited availability on each date to better serve each eighth grade student. We hope you can be flexible with the dates available, so we can accommodate your child and he/she can enjoy The Wildcat Experience!
The Wildcat Experience Information
• Please make sure you have a reservation for The Wildcat Experience and have received a confirmation email, so we are prepared to give you the optimum day at SI!
• The visiting 8th grade student will be on campus from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. Please plan to be on campus for the entire experience from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. We cannot accommodate early/late arrivals or early departures.
1. Arrive between 10:45 and 10:55 am
2. Doors open at 10:45. Classes start at 11:00 am
3. Drop off in front of the Gym*
4. Register in the Gym foyer
(Admissions staff & students will greet you)
5. Wear grammar school uniform or follow the SI dress code
6. Depart at 3:00 pm
7. Pick up in front of the Gym* (Arrive close to 3:00 pm to avoid being asked to circle the block. SI parents will be picking up SI students from 2:40 - 2:55 pm, and we do not want you caught up in the traffic congestion at that time.)
* Parents: SI will be providing curbside service with our security team to ensure your child gets checked in for The Wildcat Experience. Drop off and Pick up will be via the drive through lane located in front of the Gym on 37th Avenue (between Quintara & Rivera Streets).
• Lunch will be provided. We will provide the Hot Lunch item offered on your date. You may check (starting on Monday of the week you are visiting) to see the Hot Lunch item offered on your date here. At this time, we are unable to accommodate special dietary requests. You are welcome to bring your own lunch or purchase other food available from our cafeteria. Since you will be on campus for an extended period of time, we encourage you to bring a refillable water bottle and/or cash to purchase drinks, snacks or other food items if desired.
• Eighth grade students will be assigned to an SI student who is a member of our Wildcat Welcoming Club (WWC). WWC members apply to become SI ambassadors and complete a training program in order to escort student visitors. WWC is a leadership opportunity for lower division students at SI. An important part of an SI education is an openness to others, learning from peers of different backgrounds and cultures, and a willingness to go outside your comfort level in a safe environment. Most likely, you will not know your WWC escort, but your escort wants to make your visit enjoyable and informative. We encourage you to use this visit experience to ask questions. Meeting new people and observing the SI community in action could be your first step in making your transition from grammar school to a high school college prep curriculum.
• The eighth grade student will attend 2 to 3 classes with their WWC escort. The SI visit experience aims to give the student a feel for the academic environment at SI. It may also highlight how the SI student can take academic risks that lead to growth in a supportive and safe environment. The two or three classes the student observes may/may not be the specific subject of interest; however, the objective is for the student to have a broad view of the overall academic experience and the SI student body. Our hope is for the visiting student to meet SI students of all grade levels to get a feel for how the SI community works together to help one another.
• The visiting eighth grade student will also view what happens on campus after school during The Wildcat Experience. Co-curriculars are an important part of an SI education and are essential in the development of well-rounded individuals who learn to share their gifts and talents with the larger community.
The Wildcat Experience is an optional program and has no bearing on the admissions decision.
Please feel free to explore our website for more information about SI. Other opportunities to visit our campus and see our community in action can be found at: