SI is looking for members to form a Parent DEIB Committee. This committee will be a cohort of parents or guardians who represent SI’s parent affinity groups — AALPA, SIPAC, Ignatian Guild, Fathers Club and Father Sauer Academy Parent Group — and collaborate with the Magis Center for Equity and Inclusion to support parents', guardians' and students' participation in a strong culture of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. Prospective committee members will be nominated and selected by their respective parent groups.
The committee's mission and objectives are:
- To encourage parent engagement in order to instill well-being; normalize an inclusive, just and equitable community; and promote systemic and institutional policy and process change that impacts SI students’ ability to thrive. They will do this in partnership with the established SI parent groups and the administration of SI and FSA by increasing racial socialization, racial literacy and representation.
- To actively help the school better understand the experiences of parents and students as they relate to inclusion, equity and belonging.
- To assist with the promotion and implementation of programs that support diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging and encourage continuous learning and growth, all in alignment with the mission and values of St. Ignatius College Preparatory.
Individual members of the Parent DEIB Committee will:
- Participate in the Parent DEIB Committee in partnership with the Magis Center for Equity and Inclusion, fulfilling expectations set by the Committee, including, but not limited to, attending monthly meetings and producing regular reports. Further expectations will be defined by the committee.
- Support the DEIB Training for new leadership of parent groups.
- Support school-wide DEIB programming for students and parents, including speakers, educational meetings, orientations, and more.
- Provide perspectives and input on DEIB issues, in consultation with the Director of the Magis Center for Equity and Inclusion and the parent group Faculty Liaison.
- Collaborate with Parent DEIB Committee representatives from all parent groups: SIPAC, AALPA, Ignatian Guild and the Fathers Club.
- Provide monthly updates to their respective parent group community about what work is currently being done to advance the school’s mission as it relates to DEIB, including upcoming programming and events.
If you would like more information about this new board position, please contact Maricel Hernandez, Director of Equity and Inclusion, at firstname.lastname@example.org.