Due to the escalating severity of the COVID-19 outbreak within and beyond the United States, the Latinx Youth Summit scheduled for March 13-14, 2020, has been postponed. Read more about this difficult decision and please reach out if you have any questions, Maricel A. Hernandez, email@example.com.
The 8th Biennial Latinx Youth Summit
Latinidad: Our Stories, Our Voices
March 13-14, 2020
St. Ignatius College Preparatory | San Francisco, CA
March 13, 2020
4 - 9 p.m.
Program begins at 5:30 p.m.
March 14, 2020
8:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Students will engage in critical thought and dialogue around the Latinx experience and leave with an understanding of Latinidad
- Empower Latinx high school students, parents/guardians, and educators of Latinx and diverse students
- Leadership and identity development for participants
- Appreciation and celebration of the diversity of Latinx cultural expression through art
- To network and collaborate
- This summit is intended for students identifying as Latinx and faculty, staff, administrators, and chaperones of Latinx students. Parents/guardians and educators are welcome to attend. Workshops will be available for all attendees
- Jesuit high schools across the US and Bay Area independent high schools are invited to send a cadre of students accompanied by chaperone(s)
The theme is Latinidad: Our Stories, Our Voices. In our current social, economic, and political climate, the stories and voices of Latinx peoples are underrepresented and often misrepresented in news and other media. Latinidad is in crisis. How do we unlearn the colorism that exists within the Latinx community? How can we overcome the challenges and fight the racism the Latinx community experiences? How will we move towards healing, reclaiming our truths and our stories, and global solidarity? It is time for us to take up space to be seen and heard; to celebrate our diverse and intersectional identities; to share our heritage, history, and traditions; and to develop into community leaders and agents of change committed to justice, equity, love, and inclusion.
Three areas of focus will include:
- Identity Development (awareness)
- Social Justice (advocacy)
- Leadership (agency)
Fees for Participating Schools and Individuals
- High Schools (students and accompanying chaperones)
- For 1-7 attendees = $350 for the group
- For 8-15 attendees = $500 for the group
- For More than 15 attendees = $650 for the group
- Cristo Rey Schools are free and welcome to make a donation, if possible.
- Individual educators not from a Jesuit High School or Bay Area Independent School are $150 per attendee.
Registration through Eventbrite at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/8th-biennial-latinx-youth-summit-tickets-89135902885
We currently have a room block at the hotel listed below. Information for a San Francisco hotel room block will be made available week of Jan. 13.
La Quinta Inn and Suites by Wyndham
San Francisco Airport North
20 Airport Blvd
South San Francisco, CA 94080
Group Name: Latinx Youth Summit
Arrival March 13, 2020
Group Code: CG0313
Anyone wanting to reserve a room will call 650-583-2223 and choose option 5 for the front desk. (Do not email a request for the room, call in only) They will need to ask for a room in this block. We will need their name and address and a credit card to hold the room. I’ve set up the block so they will receive the same rate if they want to stay an extra night on the end.
The drop dead date to reserve from this block is Thursday Feb. 13, 2020.
If you and your group would prefer to stay on the St. Ignatius campus, please reach out to Maricel Hernandez, firstname.lastname@example.org, (415) 731-7500 ext. 6788.
We look forward to being in community with you soon!
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact Ms. Maricel Hernandez, Director of Equity and Inclusion at St. Ignatius College Preparatory: email@example.com