Graduation Information for Seniors
Parents of the Senior Class of 2017,
Now that graduation draws near, the faculty and administration of Saint Ignatius would like to take a moment to thank each of you for your continued cooperation during the past four years. On the day of graduation, you rightfully share in your son/daughter’s joy and celebration. Without your support and guidance, this day could never come to pass.
On this page, you will find expectations for norms of student conduct with regard to graduation and surrounding activities. Thank you for your cooperation in advance. We look forward to celebrating these capstone events together.
Experience has taught us that a definite timetable and certain procedural guidelines are necessary to assure a successful graduation. We submit them to you and ask that you cooperate on this, our final exercise together.
- Monday, May 22, 2017, we will honor our graduating seniors with a senior class holiday.
- Academic Awards will be presented at a school Assembly on Friday, May 26, 2017 at 9:30 am in the school gymnasium. Parents are invited to attend. Seniors are required to attend.
- Mandatory graduation practices will begin on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 in the school gymnasium. Students with last names beginning A - L should report at 1:00 pm. Students with last names beginning M – Z report at 1:45 pm. Practice will last approximately 45 minutes for each group. Regular school attire is acceptable for this practice. Caps and gowns will be distributed at the Wednesday practice, along with their Baccalaureate and Graduation tickets.
- ALL STUDENTS must also attend the mandatory practice on Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 1:30 pm in St. Ignatius Church on Fulton Street. Students should plan on being at practice until approximately 3:30pm. For this practice, the boys are asked to wear a nice dress shirt and slacks. The girls are asked to wear dresses or nice pants/skirts and blouses, and the same shoes you plan on wearing graduation day. Seniors who miss practices cannot participate in the graduation exercises.
- A Baccalaureate Mass will be celebrated on Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 7:30 pm at St. Ignatius Church on the USF Campus. (Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. for the Mass.) All seniors and parents are expected to attend. Seniors are to meet at 6:45 pm at the main entrance of the USF Library. A reception will immediately follow the Mass at McClaren Complex located on the USF campus. Admission to the Baccalaureate Mass will be by tickets ONLY. We allot four tickets per family for the Baccalaureate. There are NO extra tickets for Baccalaureate Mass. These tickets will be handed to the graduates at Graduation practice on Wednesday, May 31, 2017.
- Commencement Exercises will take place at War Memorial Gym on the University of San Francisco campus on Saturday, June 3, 2017, at 10:30 am. Doors to USF gym will open at 9:15 am. Seniors are to meet at 9:30 am at Golden Gate Avenue (to the right of the gym) at the marked path. Admission will be by ticket ONLY. Seating for Graduation will be limited to EIGHT tickets per family. Tickets will also be handed to the graduates at Graduation practice on Wednesday, May 31, 2017. Although the ceremony begins at 10:30 am please note that the graduates will begin to process into the gym at 10:10 am. Seating is general seating. There will be no saving of seats in the lower section of the USF Memorial gym after 9:45 a.m. Any saved seats in upper sections will be released at 10 a.m.
- You may watch the graduation from the comfort of your own home on the website: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/siprep/ (Click here for information on downloading the graduation video or ordering DVDs of the ceremony.)
- Attire and grooming for the Baccalaureate Services and Graduation Exercises: Ladies: Dress, skirt or dressy trousers with blouse; no flip-flops, dress shoes only. No dyed or bleached hair, and no facial piercings or jewelry. Gentlemen: Dress shirt and tie; no flip-flops, dress shoes only. Hair and sideburns properly trimmed in accordance with school policy, and no facial hair. No dyed or bleached hair, and no facial piercings or jewelry.
- Cap and gown will be worn in the conventional manner without modification. Any adornments to be worn must be issued by the school. Graduating seniors are encouraged to wear their retreat crosses.
- Please no flowers or leis until after the graduation ceremony.
- All library books and athletic equipment must be returned.
- Any misconduct during practices, Baccalaureate Mass or the Graduation ceremony may result in the student not receiving his/her diploma.
- Senior pranks are considered misconduct. Offenders will be liable for disciplinary action, which may include non-participation in the Commencement Exercises.
*Note: It is absolutely essential that all seniors attend all graduation practices; please refrain from asking for exemptions.
Parking and Transportation:
- Disabled Person (DP) Parking will be at the upper Memorial Gym Lot, east of gym, and will be first come first served. Vehicle must clearly display valid DMV DP placard, issued to an mobility impaired occupant in the vehicle at the time of parking. Please display placard on rear view mirror, prior to entering lot so it is visible to security. Be prepared to present current DP registration.
- Faculty and Staff limited parking will be available in the Hayes-Healy Lot, lower lot east of gym, with a valid SI Graduation placard. Please see Director of Security to obtain a placard, first come first served. Staff car permits are not the same as Graduation Placard. See below for additional parking lots.
- Parent, Student and Guest Parking: Parking lots will all be available for Baccalaureate Mass and Graduation are located at KORET Center (Upper and Lower) at Turk/Parker; EDUCATION LOT at Turk and Tamalpais Terrace, LAW SCHOOL at Fulton/Shrader and LONE MOUNTAIN CIRCLE and LOYOLA LOT off Turk Blvd.
- UBER OR LYFT: Drop off zones located on Fulton in front of Church for Baccalaureate Mass and Golden Gate Avenue in front of Memorial Gym for Graduation.
- NO PARKING ALLOWED: On neighborhood side streets and terraces, off Golden Gate Avenue, between Parker and Masonic.
- Daily parking permits at all lots will not be required.
- You can find directions to USF here.
- You can find a campus transportation map here.
- You can find where to park on this map. (All lots are available to parents & no cars will be cited in these lots.)
- Students and faculty should line up for graduation according to directions on this map.
Again, on behalf of the entire St. Ignatius Faculty and Staff, thank you for the pleasure of serving you these past four years. We wish every blessing for you and your son/daughter.
William M. Gotch & Michelle N. Levine
Deans of Students