Magis Program at SI
The Magis Program strives to provide comprehensive academic, social and cultural support for both middle school and high school students from under-represented backgrounds, including students who will be the first in their family to go to college, low-income and/or students traditionally under-represented in higher education.
The Middle School Enrichment Program is an academic enrichment program for motivated middle school students who are one or all of the following: first-generation college-bound, low-income or traditionally underrepresented at college preparatory schools. Magis provides a challenging and supportive environment to teach students the skills they will need to succeed in a college preparatory high school and to inspire them to prepare for high school and beyond. Students attend an annual summer academy, monthly winter phase meetings, and weekly homework centers. Eighth grade students receive high school counseling and assistance throughout the application process for college preparatory high schools. Click here for more information about the Middle School Enrichment Program.
Magis High School Support Programs provide affirmation and awareness collectively through the following programs:
- Safe Space fostering community and difference
- Magis Group: support group that allows students to share and learn from each other
- Magis Film Days discussing issues of race and identity
- Supplemental college application assistance
- Magis college visits to local and southern california colleges and universities
Here are a few upcoming events for our Magis students this semester: Every Thursday afterschool* - Senior Magis College Workshops - room 207
- Sept. 6: Welcome Back Lunch - Choral Room
- Starting Sept. 14: - Junior Magis College Workshops - Band Room (every Wednesday during lower lunch*)
- Starting Sept. 14: - Sophomore Magis College Workshops - Band Room (every Wednesday during lower lunch*)
- Starting Sept. 16: - One on One Reach out Meeting with Magis Seniors in the Band Room (every Friday at lunch*)
- Sept. 17: - Magis Parent/Guardian Q & A - Library - 10AM - 12PM
- Oct. 1: - CSU Kick Off Application - post SAT test date - 2:30 - 4:30 PM
- Oct. 15: - Magis Senior Family FAFSA Workshop - Library - 10 AM - 1 PM
- Oct. 19: - 22nd Magis Southern CA Tour - more details to be announced but attendance at Magis College meetings will be monitored and a variable in the selection process - open to 10th graders and a few 11th graders
- Nov. 12: - Magis Bootcamp Day (all applications & financial aid forms for students) in the library - 2:30 - 4:30 PM
Please remind your students to take advantage of additional support on Day I and Day II (1st - 30 minutes of every resource period) during drop in times for Magis College Advising.
On the sidelines a huge big thanks to our Magis College Peer Advisor - Leya Elias '17, Rachel Aquitania '17, Jordan Barnett '17 and Korrie Taylor '17 who have been attending trainings since last semester and will continue to this Fall to help their advisory case load.
- Upcoming Scholarship: Voice of Democracy
- Job Opportunity: SF Youth Works
- Enrichment Opportunity: Precita Eye Volunteer Program