World History 1 - Introduction to Research
Here are some research tips and materials that will help you with your project.
Hint: Remember, you are looking for FACTS: that which is indisputably true.
Search tip: Databases are a collection of items from various sources so you may find more than one source in a database.
Create a list of key terms that you can combine with your topic to target your search results,
- “Montezuma” AND “Aztecs” or “Newton, Isaac” AND “mathematics”, etc.
- Consider using the Advanced Search feature when searching for relevant information. Type your key terms in the search box and search within “Subject”.
- Review your first search results for related topics and/or subjects to develop more search terms.
- Carefully review the database page that displays your search results for additional information.
- Databases will usually have the citation information in MLA format. Look for a citation button or citation information on the database page.
These databases may be helpful searching for factual information using key terms developed from your initial research.
- Great Lives from History Online Database (also know as Salem)- Historical and current biographies
- Biography in Context - a constantly updated resource of biographies of notable people from around the world.
Use the catalog to find books.
When searching for an author or subject: Last Name, First Name
Search tip: Go to the index in the book to look for factual information on your subject’s life. Consider using some of the key terms used in database searching for index searching.
Wilsey Library Citing Sources page has a variety of citation tools for you to use.
Databases will usually have the citation information in MLA format. Look for a citation button or citation information on the database page.